Life-Time Achievement Award, McMaster Students Union, 2005.
The National Alan Blizzard Award for Collaborative Teaching. Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. 2001. (Carl Cuneo, S. Inglis, C. Justice, S. Miller, J. Rice, S. Sammon, W. Warry)
The President's Award for Course and Resource Design. Inquiry. Excellence in Teaching Award. McMaster University. 2000. (Carl Cuneo, S. Inglis, C. Justice, S. Miller, J. Rice, S. Sammon, W. Warry)
- Evaluation of Educational & Training Technologies
- Technology Based Learning
- Online Learning
- Social Implications of the Internet
- Computer-Mediated Communications
- Political Economy
- Social Inequality
- Computer Applications in Qualitative Data Analyses
- Statistics Canada/Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council/Canada Council of Ministers of Education, “Computer Technology, Literacy and Academic Achievement” (2003-2006). Examines relationships among social inequality, computer and internet access, use, and skills, and literacy.
- Learning New Economy Employability Skills with Information and Communication Technologies. Initiatives in the New Economy (INE), Collaborative Research Initiatives Program. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, 2002 Seed Grant.
- Changing Higher Education Practices in Communication and Information Technologies. Initiatives in the New Economy (INE), Outreach Program. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, 2002 (With Dr. Brian Campbell, University of Ontario Institute of Technology).
- Campus Computing Canada, 1998-2001. Standard SSHRC research grant to set up an annual survey database of information, communication, and instructional technologies at all anglophone and francophone universities and colleges in Canada (co-investigator: Dr. Brian Campbell, University of Ontario Institute of Technology).
- Instructional Design for the New Media: 1997-8. $100,000 was granted by Industry Canada to the LearnOntario consortium consisting of McMaster University (Carl Cuneo), University of Toronto, Ryerson Po lytechnical University, Centenniel College, and Collage des Grands Lacs, to develop a web-based course by this title for delivery to Industry Canada (SchoolNet) for national and international distribution.
- EVNET: Network for the Evaluation of Educational and Training Technologies. 1996-2001. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. Strategic Research Networks in Education and Training. Evaluating the effects of computer-mediated technologies on learning and training in higher education and the workplace.
- "Reformulating Labour Process Theory: The Case of Dominion Stores",Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. Standard Research Grant (1992-1995). Labour process and decertification at Dominion Stores. Based on 250 interviews with employees, all the way from the company president down to the carry-out person.
- "Working for Dominion Stores" Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. Research Grant. (1989-1992). Labour process and decertification at Dominion Stores. Based on 250 interviews with employees, all the way from the company president down to the carry-out person.
Ph.D., University of Waterloo (1973)
Carl Cuneo, Pay Equity: The Labour-Feminist Challenge. Toronto:Oxford University Press, March, 1990. (230pp). Nominated for John Porter Award.
Chapters in Books
Carl Cuneo (2004) "Hiding Qualitative Data Analysis Strategies", The QSR Newsletter, Number 24, July, pp. 3, 11.http://www.qsrinternational.com/resources/Newsletter.pdf
Carl Cuneo (2002). Globalized and Localized Digital Divides Along the Information Highway: A Fragile Synthesis Across Bridges, Ramps, Cloverleaves, and Ladders. 33rd Annual Sorokin Lecture. University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada. January 30th, (79 single-spaced pages). http://socserv2.mcmaster.ca/sociology/Digital-Divide-Sorokin-4.pdf
Also available as Globalization Working Paper at: http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~global/wps/Cuneo022.PDF
Justice, Christopher, Wayne Warry, Carl Cuneo, Sue Inglis, Stefania Miller, James Rice, Sheila Sammon (2002) A Grammar for Inquiry: Linking Goals and Methods in a Collaboratively Taught Social Sciences Inquiry Course. The Alan Blizzard Award Paper, Special Publication of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, McGraw-Hill Ryerson. Toronto.
Carl Cuneo (with Brian Campbell, Craig Foye, Julia Herzog, Edward O'Hara, and Laila Bastedo) (2000) The Underbelly of Online Learning in Canadian Post-Secondary Education. A special report for the Multimedia and Learning Division of Industry Canada.
Cuneo, Carl., Geissler, Colin., O'Connor, Robert., Vanditelli, Christine. & Ruppenthal, Leonardo., (1998) Module 5, "Applications of Instructional Design to the Web" (http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/learnontario/idnm/mod5/mod5.htm) (approximately 130 pages); in LearnOntario, Instructional Design for the New Media, Ottawa: Industry Canada/SchoolNet.
Carl Cuneo, "International Images of Social Inequality: A Ten-Country Comparison", Chapter 3 (pp. 31-66) in Jon H. Pammett (ed.), Social Inequality in Canada. Ottawa: Carleton University Press, 1996.
Carl Cuneo, “Franchising Union Succession Rights”, Chapter 15 (pp. 307-339) in Cy Gonick, Paul Phillips, and Jesse Vorst (eds), Labour Gains, Labour Pains: 50 Years of PC 1003. Socialist Studies Annual No. 10. Fernwood Publishing, 1996.
Carl Cuneo, "Trade Union Leadership: Sexism and Affirmative Action", Chapter 5 (pp. 109-136) in Linda Briskin and Patricia McDermott (eds.), Challenging Unions: Women, Militancy and Democracy (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1993)
Carl Cuneo, "Class Structure and Process" (Chapter 6), pp. 104-159 in Peter S. Li and Singh Bolaria (eds.), Sociology: Critical Perspectives. Toronto: Copp Clark Pitman, January, 1993.
Carl Cuneo, "The State of Pay Equity: Mediating Gender and Class Through Political Parties in Ontario", Chapter 2 (pp. 33-59) in Judy Fudge and Patricia McDermott (eds.), Just Wages: A Feminist Assessment of Pay Equity. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1991.
Carl Cuneo, "The Class Dimensions of Regionalism," Pp. 671-681 in Lorne Tepperman and James Curtis (eds.), Readings in Sociology: An Introduction. Toronto: McGraw- Hill Ryerson, 1988.
Carl Cuneo, "A Classical Marxist Perspective", Pp. 35-77 in J. Paul Grayson (ed.), Introduction to Sociology: An Alternate Approach. Toronto: Gage, 1983.
Carl Cuneo, "Class, Stratification, and Mobility", Pp. 236-277 in R. Hagedorn et al, Sociology. Toronto: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1980 (reprinted in Ryerson's Introductory Sociology text).
Carl Cuneo, "A Class Perspective on Regionalism," in Daniel Glenday, Hubert Guindon and Alan Turowetz (eds.), Modernization and the Canadian State. Toronto: Macmillan, 1978, Pp. 132-156.
Carrie B. Sanders and Carl J. Cuneo (2010) "Social Reliability in Qualitative Team Research" Sociology. 44 (2), April, pp. 325-343.
Sue Inglis, Sheila Sammon, Christopher Justice, Carl Cuneo, Stephania Miller, James Rice, Dale Roy, Wayne Warry (2004) “Cross-cultural simulation to advance student inquiry” Simulation & Gaming: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Theory, Practice and Research . (Sage Journal), Vol. 35, Number 4 (December), pp. 476-487.
Carl Cuneo, Brian Campbell, and Delsworth Harnish (2002) "The Integration and Effectiveness of ICTs in Canadian Postsecondary Education." Council of Ministers of Education. The Canadian Education Statistics Council. Montreal.http://www.cmec.ca/stats/pcera/RSEvents02/research_en.htm
Cuneo, Carl, Inglis, Sue, Justice, Chris, Miller, Stefania, Rice, James, Sammon, Sheila, Warry, Wayne (2001) "Thinking and Doing 'Outside the Box': Interdisciplinary Inquiry Learning Partnerships", Research and Development in Higher Education, Volume 24, pp. 15-22.
Carl Cuneo and Delsworth Harnish (2000) "The Pain of Innovation: FirstClass Collaborative Software Case Study" EvNet Working Papers # 24 http://evnet-nt1.mcmaster.ca/network/workingpapers/Th_One/FC_Case_Study.htm
Kristina Trim, Delsworth Harnish, Carl Cuneo (2000) "The Little Red Schoolhouse Goes Electronic: Collaborative, Open and Continuous Flow Learning Environments in the Computer-Mediated Classroom" EvNet Working Papers # 25. http://evnet-nt1.mcmaster.ca/network/workingpapers/lrsh_2/Electric_Schoolhouse.htm
Delsworth Harnish , Kristina Trim, Chuck Dyke, Kyle Keeney, Carl Cuneo (2000)"Nonlinear Pedagogy, Cooperative Learning, and the Continuous Flow Classroom" EvNet Working Papers # 26 http://evnet-nt1.mcmaster.ca/network/workingpapers/LRSH_2/LRSHnonlinear2000.htm
Carl Cuneo and Brian Campbell (Campus Computing International) (2000). "Changes in Canadian Higher Education ICT and Support, 2000 to 2003" EvNet Working Papers # 6.
David Conrath, Carl Cuneo, Frederick Evers, Andrea Kalmin, Richard Malinski, David Warrick (1999) "Emerging Themes in the Use of Educational Technologies in Colleges and Universities" Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference (Computers and Advanced Technology In Education-CATE 1999) (May 6-8, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA) EvNet Working Papers # 1;http://evnet-nt1.mcmaster.ca/network/workingpapers/EmergeTheme/emergingthemes.htm
Carl Cuneo, Delsworth Harnish, Laila Bastedo (1999) "The Educational Value of FirstClass/ LearnLink/ Little Red Schoolhouse" (EvNet Working Papers, 79pp)
Carl Cuneo, "The Withering of Trade Union Patriarchy", Electronic Journal of Sociology, Vol 1, No. 3, August, 1995http://www.sociology.org/
Carl Cuneo, "Restoring Class to State Unemployment Insurance," Canadian Journal of Political Science , XIX (1), March,1986, 93 -98.
Carl Cuneo, "Have Women Become More Proletarianized than Men?" Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology . 22 (4), November, 1985, 465-495.
Carl Cuneo, "Reconfirming Marx's Rate of Surplus Value," Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology. 21(1), 1984, 98-104.
Carl Cuneo, "Has the Traditional Petite Bourgeoisie Persisted?" Canadian Journal of Sociology. 9(3), 1984, 36-82.
Carl Cuneo, "Class in a Classless Model of Nationalism." International Journal of Comparative Sociology. XXIII (3-4), 1982, 107-109.
Carl Cuneo, "Class Struggle and Measurement of the Rate of Surplus Value." Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology. 19 (3), August, 1982, 377-425.
Carl Cuneo, "Surplus Labour in Staple Commodities During Merchant and Early Industrial Capitalism". Studies in Political Economy. No. 7, Winter, 1982, 61-87.
Carl Cuneo, "State Mediation of Class Contradictions in Canadian Unemployment Insurance, 1930-1935." Studies in Political Economy. No. 3, 1980, 37-65.
Carl Cuneo, "Class Contradictions in Canada's International Setting." Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology. 16(1), 1979, 1-20.
Carl Cuneo, "State, Class and Reserve Labour: The Case of the 1941 Canadian Unemployment Insurance Act." Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology. 16(2), 1979, 147-170.
Carl Cuneo, "Class Exploitation in Canada." Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology. 15(3), 1978, 284-300.
Carl Cuneo, "The Controlled Entry of Canadian Managers to the United States." International Journal of Comparative Sociology. XVIII (1-2), March-June, 1977, 81-101.
Carl Cuneo, "The Social Basis of Political Continentalism in Canada." Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology. 13(1), 1976, 55-70.
Carl Cuneo, "Social Ascription in the Educational and Occupational Status Attainment Among Urban Canadians." Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology. 12(1), 1975, 6-24 (with James Curtis).
Carl Cuneo, "Quebec Separatism: An Analysis of Determinants Within Social-Class Levels." Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology. 11 (1), 1974, 1-29 (with James Curtis).
Carl Cuneo, "Education, Language and Multi-Dimensional Continentalism". Canadian Journal of Political Science , VII (3), 1974, 536-50.