Ahmed Shafiqul Huque's research and teaching interests are in public administration and management, public policy, development, South Asian government and politics, governance and climate change. He has published thirteen books and numerous research articles in leading international journals including Public Administration Review, Governance, Public Management Review, International Review of Administrative Sciences, International Journal of Public Administration, Journal of Comparative and Comparative Politics, Pacific Affairs and Asian Survey. Dr. Huque was the Editor-in-Chief of the journal Public Administration and Policy, and Contributing Editor for Southeast Asia for the on-line Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Policy. He has provided consulting services to various organizations including the Companies Registry of Hong Kong Government, United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) and Danish International Development Agency (DANIDA) and assessed grant applications for NORAD and DFID.
Public Administration and Management, Public Policy, Development, Governance, Capacity Building South Asian Government and Politics
- MA - University of Manitoba
- PhD - University of British Columbia
- Poli Sci 3LL3: Development and Public Policy
- Poli Sci 701: Theory & Practice of Policy Analysis: Frameworks & Models
- Poli Sci 782: Development Theory and Administration
- Poli Sci 785: Public Sector Management
Public Sector Reforms in Developing Countries: Paradoxes and Practices Routledge, 2014
Asian Immigrants in North America with HIV/AIDS: Stigma, Vulnerabilities and Human Rights, Springer, 2014
|Managing Development in a Globalized World: Concepts, Processes, Institutions CRC Press, 2012|
|The Enigma of Development: Rethinking Goals, Strategies, Outcomes South Asian Publishers, 2009||International Development Governance CRC Press, 2006|
|Public Service in a Globalized World: Central Training Institutes in India and Hong Kong Ashgate, 2004||Managing Public Services: Crises and Lessons from Hong Kong Ashgate, 2000|
|The Civil Service in Hong Kong: Continuity and Change Hong Kong University Press, 1998||
Social Policy in Hong Kong Edward Elgar, 1997
|Public Administration in the NICs: Challenges and Accomplishments St. Martin’s Press and Macmillan, 1996||Development through Decentralization in Bangladesh: Evidence and Perspective University Press, 1994|
|Paradoxes in Public Administration: Dimensions of Development University Press, 1990||Politics and Administration in Bangladesh University Press, 1988|
Refereed Journal Articles
- “Does public participation matter? Inclusive growth in East Asia,” The Asian Journal of Political Science, Vol. 24, 2016 (with Bill Chou)
- “Citizen’s Charter and Implementation Failure: Performance of Local Councils in Bangladesh,” Public Administration and Policy, Vol. 19, No. 1, 2016, pp. 6-22 (with K. Ahsan).
- 'Public Money and Mickey Mouse: Evaluating Performance and accountability in the Hong Kong Disneyland joint venture public-private partnership', Public Management Review, Vol. 17, No. 8, 2015, pp. 1103-1123 (with C. Higgins).
- 'Can Public Management Contribute to Governance? Evidence from Hong Kong,’ Public Organization Review, Vol. 13, No. 4, 2013, pp. 397-409.
- 'Challenges for Public Service Capacity and the Role of Public Employee Training as a Moderator in India,' Public Management Review, Vol. 15, No. 8, 2013, pp. 1116-1136 (with L. Vyas and C.S. Jung).
- 'Diminishing Capacity: Public Management Reform in Developing Countries,' Public Administration and Policy, Vol. 15, 2012, pp. 63-82.
- 'Some Neglected Aspects of Performance in Field Administration in Bangladesh,' International Journal of Public Administration, Vol. 34, 2011, pp. 318-328.
- 'Accountability and governance: strengthening extra-bureaucratic mechanisms in Bangladesh', International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, Vol 60, No.1, 2011, pp. 59-74.
- 'Managing the Public Sector in Hong Kong: Trends and Adjustments', Asian Journal of Political Science, Vol 18, No 3, 2010, pp. 269-288.
- 'Federalism and the Implementation of Environmental Policy: Changing Trends in Canada and the United States', Public Organization Review, Vol. 10, 2010, pp. 71-88 (with N Watton).
- "Does Ideology Matter? Incentive, Efficiency and Management in the Public Sector", International Journal of Public Administration, Vol. 32, 2009, pp. 929-950.
- "Marketisation of Public Services in Developing Countries," The Indian Journal of Public Administration, Vol. 54, No. 2, April - June 2008, pp. 255 - 274.
- "Expectations and Performance: Assessment of Public Service Training in Hong Kong," International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 19, No. 1, 2008, pp. 188-204 (with L Vyas).
- "Local Leadership: Development, Problems and Potential in Bangladesh," The Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Administration, Vol. 29, No. 2, 2007.
- "Contracting Out and Trust in the Public Sector: Cases of Management from Hong Kong," Public Organization Review, Vol. 5, No. 1, March 2005, pp 69-84.
- “Shifting Emphasis in the Role of the State: Urban Housing Reform in China,” Asian Journal of Political Science, Vol. 13, No. 2, 2005, pp.51-72.
- “Explaining the Myth of Public Sector Reform in South Asia: De-Linking Cause and Effect,” Policy and Society, Vol. 24, No. 3, 2005,pp. 97-121.
- “Balancing Values, Pressures and Demands: Strategies for Public Administration in Hong Kong and China,” Chinese Public Administration Review, 2, 4, 2004.
- “Performance measures and security risk management: a Hong Kong example,” International Review of Administrative Sciences, 70, 1, 2004 (with B Brewer).
- “From Domination to Alliance: Shifting Strategies and Accumulation of Power by the Bureaucracy in Bangladesh,” Public Organization Review, 3, 4, 2003 (with M T Rahman).
- “Globalization and Reunification: Administrative Reforms and the China-Hong Kong Convergence Challenge,” Public Administration Review, 63, 2, 2003 (with R Yep).
- “Government-Society Relations and the Politics of Administrative Reform in Hong Kong,” Public Policy and Administration, 17, 1, 2002.
- “Administrative Regulation and the Operation of Non-Governmental Organizations in Bangladesh,” The Indian Journal of Public Administration, 48, 1, 2002.
- “Governance and Public Management: The South Asian Context,” International Journal of Public Administration, 24, 12 (2001).
- “Public Management for Good Governance: Reforms, Regimes, and Reality in Bangladesh,” International Journal of Public Administration, 24, 12, 2001 (with H Zafarullah).
- “Issues in Public Management: Political Direction and Public Communication in Hong Kong,” International Review of Public Administration, 6, 1, 2001 (with G Lee).
- 'Public Participation, Inclusive Growth and Governance in East Asia', International Conference on Inclusive Governance in Asia, Bangladesh Institute of Administrative Management, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 9-10 May, 2016.
- 'Managing the Public Service in the Democratic Developmental State: The Role of the Public Administrator', 20th Annual Conference of the International Research Society for Public Management, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, April 13-15, 2016.
- 'Civil Service Reforms in Hong Kong and Thailand: Different Paths, Similar Ends', 20th Annual Conference of the International Research Society for Public Management, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, April 13-15, 2016.
- 'Governance and Public Management: Reforms and Consequences in Hong Kong', Annual Conference of the Hong Kong Political Science Association, October 2015.
- 'Regional Synchrony in Sustainable Development: Regulatory Policies in Environmental Conservation in South Asia,' 19th Annual Conference of the International Research Society for Public Management, University of Birmingham, UK, March 30-April 1, 2015.
- 'Citizen's Charter in Local Government: An Experiment in Bangladesh,' 19th Annual Conference of the International Research Society for Public Management, University of Birmingham, UK, March 30-April 1, 2015.
- 'Public Service Provision and the Market in Developing Countries/Postcolonial Economies,' 24th Annual British Commonwealth & Postcolonial Studies Conference, Savannah, Georgia, USA, February 13-14, 2015.
- 'The Wayward State: Politics, Administrative Reforms and Innovation in Bangladesh,' 18th Annual Conference of the International Research Society for Public Management, Carleton University Canada, April 9-11, 2014.March 30-April 1, 2015.
- 'Public administration as an Academic Discipline in Bangladesh: Strengths, Weaknesses, Challenges and Opportunities,' Conference on 'Forty Years of Public Administration in Bangladesh, University of Chittagong, January 2013.
- ‘Public Management Reform in Developing Countries: Contradictions and the Inclusive State’, 16th Annual Conference of the International Research Society for Public Management, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy, April 11-13, 2012.
- 'Public Management as an Alternative to Governance: The Cases of Hong Kong and Macao,' presented at the international conference on Governance and Public Policy in South and Southeast Asia, Dhaka, July 13-14, 2012.
- 'Value and the Public Interest in Public-Private Partnerships: Lessons Learned or Mistakes Repeated?,' Second Annual Northeast Conference on Public Administration(NECoPA), John Jay College of Criminal Justice, City University of New York, October 28-29, 2011.
- 'Extra-bureaucratic Accountability Mechanisms in Bangladesh,' 14th Annual Conference of the International Research Society for Public Management, Berne, Switzerland, April 6-9, 2010.
- 'Public Management and the Mediation of Interests: A Case Study of Public-Private Partnership in Bangladesh,' 14th Annual Conference of the International Research Society for Public Management, Berne, Switzerland, April 6-9, 2010 (with M Hayllar).
- 'The development of public administration in Hong Kong: Trends and adjustments,' Workshop on Post Colonial Transformations in China’s Hong Kong & Macao: Implications for Cross-Taiwan Strait and Canada-PRC Links, University of Waterloo, Canada, June 27, 2009.
- 'Traditions and Bureaucracy in Bangladesh,' Workshop on Administrative Traditions: Inheritance and Transplants in Comparative Perspective, City University of Hong Kong, 23-24 June 2007.
- 'Ideology and the Determinants of Performance in Contracting-out,' Conference on The Determinants of Performance in Public Organizations II, The University of Hong Kong, December 7-11, 2006
- 'The Myth of Public Sector Reform in South Asia,' Second Asian Political and International Studies Association Congress on Governance Dilemmas in Asia: Public Action in a Competitive and Insecure World,” Hong Kong, 14-16 November 2005
- 'The Challenge of Administrative Reform for China and Hong Kong,' The 64th National Conference of the American Society for Public Administration, Washington DC, USA, March 15-18, 2003.
- 'Market, Competition and Public Organizations: Pattern and Prospect in Changing Societies,' International Conference on Reform in Public Administration and Social Services in Asia, Macao Polytechnic Institute, November 8-9, 2002.
- 'Participation and Development: A Balancing Act,' Conference on “Participation for Global Action & Change: Connecting Practitioners, Communities, Networks, Organizations”, University of Guelph, Canada, July 29-August 2, 2002.
- 'The policy of positive non-intervention in Hong Kong,' Annual General Meeting of the British Columbia Political Studies Association, Vancouver, Canada, May 1999.
- 'Quality Assurance in Public Administration Education: Hong Kong on the Edge,' The 59th National Conference of the American Society for Public Administration, Seattle, USA, May 1998.
Chapters in Books
- 'The ‘holy grail’ of governance: drivers, challenges and opportunities for developing countries', in N. Ahmed, ed., Public Policy and Governance in Bangladesh, New York: Routledge, 2016, pp. 15-30.
- 'The Path to Governance: Political and Administrative Development in Bangladesh', in M. Huque, ed., Bangladesh: History, Politics, Economics, Society and Culture, Dhaka: University Press, 2016, pp. 249-274.
- 'Public Management as a Building Block for Governance: Drawing on the Experience of Hong Kong,' in I. Jamil, S. A. Aminuzzaman and S. T. M. Haque, eds., Governance in South, Southeast, and East Asia, Springer, 2015, pp. 65-81.
- 'Public Administration as an Academic Discipline in Bangladesh,' in N. Ahmed ed., 40 Years of Public Administration and Governance in Bangladesh, Dhaka: University Press, 2014, pp. 33-47 (with H. Zafarullah)
- 'Coping with Crises and Disasters: Hong Kong Disaster Plan and Contingency Plan for Natural Disasters,' in A. Farazmand, ed., Crisis and Emergency Management: Theory and Practice, 2nd edition, Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2014, pp. 527-542.
- ‘Traditions and Bureaucracy in Bangladesh,’ in M Painter and B G Peters, eds., Tradition and Public Administration, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 2010, pp. 57-68.
- ‘Problems and Prospects of Good Governance in Bangladesh,’ in J.Vartola, I. Lumijarvi and M. Asaduzzaman. eds., Toward Good Governance in South Asia, Tampere: Tampere University Press, 2010, pp. 43-67.
- "Evaluation of Public Service Training in India: Providers, Consumers and Outcome", in Ali Farazmand, ed., bureaucracy and Administration, London: CRC Press/Taylor & Francis, 2009, pp.449-463 (with L. Vyas).
- "Globalization, Bureaucracy and Administrative Reform in Hong Kong," in A. Farazmand and J.Pinkowski, eds., Handbook of Globalization, Governance, and Public Administration, New York: Taylor & Francis, 2007, pp. 585-599.
- “Introduction: Challenges of Development Governance,” in A S Huque and H Zafarullah, eds. International Development Governance, London, Taylor & Francis, 2006, pp. 3-12 (with H Zafarullah).
- “Understanding Development Governance: Concepts, Institutions and Processes,” in A S Huque and H Zafarullah, eds., International Development Governance, London, Taylor & Francis, 2006 pp. 13-51 (with H Zafarullah).
- “Administrative Reform in Hong Kong,” in A. Farazmand, ed., Administrative Reform in Developing Nations (Westport, CT: Praeger, 2002), pp. 89-103.
- “From adversity to opportunity? Hong Kong’s response to the Asian economic crisis,” in K T Liu, ed., Managing Economic Development in Asia: From Economic Miracle to Economic Crisis (Westport, CT: Praeger, 2002), pp. 149-65 (with J Lam).
- “Disaster Management in Hong Kong,” in A. Farazmand, ed., Handbook of Crisis and Emergency Management (New York: Marcel Dekker, 2001), pp. 531-544.
- “Dilemmas and Strategies for Development in Bangladesh,” in M. Alauddin and S. Hasan, eds., Development, Governance and the Environment in South Asia: A Focus on Bangladesh (London: Macmillan, 1999), pp. 211-23.