Experiential Education Courses
Learn through hands-on experience and activities. Explore our experiential courses.
- Did you know you can take Introduction to Career Planning Through Experiential Learning on top of your regular courses without overloading?
- Become an active leader in your profession, your community and your world by taking the Leadership Through Experiential Learning course.
SOC SCI 2ELO - Introduction to Career Planning Through Experiential Learning
SOC SCI 2EL0 is a tuition-free, non-credit career planning course that is noted on the official transcript.
This 6-week, 12-hour course (2 hours per week) engages you in a hands-on exploration activities to help you understand the skills that you have gained in your academic studies, extra-curricular activities and summer jobs, and how this relates to making occupational choices and job searching, for now and in the future.
Intro to Career Planning (SOC SCI 2EL0) will be recorded on your transcript as a PASS or as a FAIL grade. To receive a PASS in the course, you must:
- Attend (in full) all six classes.
- Receive a score of 23/25 on the Cover Letter Rubric.
- Receive a score of 27/30 on the Resume Rubric.
- Submit your completed assignments on PebblePad as a PebblePad Portfolio before 4pm on the Friday of the final week of class. Portfolios will be reviewed within three weeks after the final class.
- You can view the class schedule and register for SOC SCI 2EL0 on Mosaic.
SOC SCI 2ELO Frequently Asked Questions
Can I only take SOC SCI 2EL0 in Level II?
Students can take SOC SCI 2EL0 starting in Level II, but it can be taken in Level III or IV as well.
How much work is there in the course?
SOC SCI 2EL0 is meant to be taken on top of the student’s regular course load, so the workload is not as high as you would find with a credit course. However, there are activities to be completed outside of class time and submitted in order for a student to receive a ‘pass’ grade, such as creating or updating the student’s resume and cover letter, completing a personality assessment, and the final submission of an on-line career portfolio.
How soon after completing SOC SCI 2EL0 can I start applying to internships?
Students who have received a ‘pass’ grade in SOC SCI 2EL0 can normally begin to view and apply for Social Sciences internship placements.
Take the Introduction to Career Planning Through Experiential Learning (SOC SCI 2EL0) on top of your regular courses without overloading.
For more information, please contact:
SOC SCI 3EL3 - Leadership Through Experiential Learning
Become an active leader in your profession, your community and your world.
- Explore and enhance your leadership capabilities.
- Gain knowledge and develop skills in leadership for the twenty-first century.
- Learn in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Gain community-based placement experience.
Leadership experience makes a difference
This course promotes an interactive learning environment and incorporates facilitated discussion around the various models of leadership, diversity, power, and change with ample time for reflection.
You will also have an opportunity to develop a more complex understanding of leadership, organizations and change through placements in the community which are pre-approved for the course. Placements are typically 2-3 hours per week for 10-12 weeks.
View the course outline here.
You can view the class schedule and register for SOC SCI 3EL3 on Mosaic.