Skip to main content
McMaster University Menu Search

Cleveland: AhHb-7

About the Site:

The Cleveland Site (AhHb-7) was excavated in 1971 by William C. Noble, after amateur archaeologist Douglas Mannen did small excavations and surface collections. The four-acre site is located northeast of Brantford (Fairchild Creek, Brant County). As an early protohistoric Neutral Village, the Cleveland site represents a rare and valuable opportunity to examine Neutral culture, subsistence, and material culture circa 1540 A.D. (Prevec 1981). Evidence suggests that it was occupied year-round, and the material comes from house and midden features.

At SA McMaster:

Seventeen boxes of archaeological materials, including lithics, ceramics, faunal, cultigens, and trade goods. Some material has been catalogued and inventoried, with strong provenience information.

Note all locations are approximate and do not represent actual archaeological sites.

Resources about this site:

Noble, William C. (1972) The Cleveland Neutral Village (AhHb-7): A Preliminary Statement.

Marchand, Elizabeth and Knutson, Irene (1972) Faunal Material of the Cleveland Site – A Preliminary Sample. University of Toronto Faunal Osteology Laboratory.

Prevec, Rosemary (1981) The Cleveland Site (AhHb-7) Faunal Report.

Site Name: Cleveland: AhHb-7

County:

Brant

Borden Number:

AhHb-7

Township:

Brantford

Date Excavated:

1971

Excavated By:

William C. Noble