Skip to main content
Skip to McMaster Navigation Skip to Site Navigation Skip to main content
McMaster logo
COVID-19 information and updates

Find the most recent updates here, as well as FAQs and information for students, faculty and staff.

Cleveland: AhHb-7

About the Site:

The Cleveland Site (AhHb-7) was excavated in 1971 by William C. Noble, after amateur archaeologist Douglas Mannen did small excavations and surface collections. The four-acre site is located northeast of Brantford (Fairchild Creek, Brant County). As an early protohistoric Neutral Village, the Cleveland site represents a rare and valuable opportunity to examine Neutral culture, subsistence, and material culture circa AD 1540 (Prevec 1981). Evidence suggests that it was occupied year-round, and the material comes from house and midden features.

At SA McMaster:

Seventeen boxes of archaeological materials, including lithics, ceramics, faunal, cultigens, and trade goods. Some material has been catalogued and inventoried, with strong provenience information.

Resources about this site:

Noble, William C. (1972) The Cleveland Neutral Village (AhHb-7): A Preliminary Statement.

Marchand, Elizabeth and Knutson, Irene (1972) Faunal Material of the Cleveland Site – A Preliminary Sample. University of Toronto Faunal Osteology Laboratory.

Prevec, Rosemary (1981) The Cleveland Site (AhHb-7) Faunal Report.

Site Name: Cleveland: AhHb-7

County:

Brant

Borden Number:

AhHb-7

Township:

Brantford

Date Excavated:

1971

Excavated By:

William C. Noble