Skip to main content
McMaster University Menu Search

International Student Services

Canada is a great place to live and learn. The quality of education and living standards in Canada are amongst the highest in the world, but the cost of living and tuition fees for international students are generally lower than in other countries such as the United States and the United Kingdom.

Top three reasons to Study in Canada include:

  1. Innovative and abundant research opportunities.
    Research is one of the key components of a Canadian post-secondary education. In 2017, McMaster was ranked as Canada's most research intensive university

  2. You can get a scholarship to go study in Canada.
    The Canadian Government also offers a number of different scholarships for international students.

  3. Opportunity to stay after graduation
    International students can work during their studies and after they graduate. University graduates may also be eligible to transition to permanent residence in Canada. Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for information.

Need more reasons to choose Canada? Read EduCanada has to say.

International Student Services

The Office of International Student Services (ISS) is there to help you access the  resources you need to support you during your time at McMaster. They can help you meet other international students, they offer workshops to improve language skills and learn more about Canadian culture and customs.  ISS can refer you to trained counsellors and other resources to help you deal with all your academic and/or student life needs. 

Learn more about:

  • Study Permits
    If you decide to accept your admission to McMaster University, you will need to apply for a study permit.

  • Visa and Passports
    You will need a visa to enter and leave Canada during the duration of your studies.

  • Letters of Change of Status 
    International students may need McMaster to issue different types of letters for different purposes. We have put together a list of possible letters you might need. 

  • Working in Canada
    Registered full-time international students currently studying at a Canadian university (and, in some cases, students who graduated from a Canadian university) may seek employment in Canada in four situations: on-campus employment, co-ops, working off-campus, and post-graduation work permits.

  • Immigration Consulting
    McMaster students receive free access to our Immigration Consultant.

  • Health Care
    Learn what you need to know about the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) and wellness services.

International Student Services